Monday, November 26, 2007

NB 6.0 RC2, Getting there... but still WS code generation issues.


Recently I blogged about the RC1 of NetBeans I installed and the good and bad of the first release candidate. of NetBeans 6.0. One of the major upgrades of NetBeans since about ever.

I installed RC2 last week right after it came out and started testing the major bug I was experiencing, WS client generation for mobile applications. And the bug I'd found was solved, and I was very happy about that. Although it got a bit of a disappointment not long after this 'Yippie' feeling. Issue 122702 is the new code generation problem around the block when it comes to generating code for mobiles to connect to a WS. The problem is that when a class of my own is the type of a field of another class of my own and that second class is produced or consumed by a WS operation, the code for that class is not generated by NB, at least not by either RC1 or RC2. The class that should be generated is fairly simple to create myself, but that is mainly because it is a simple class, well at least the one I created for this issue. Mobility and WS support are definitely an area not yet much treaded.
There's another issue I have with the whole WS connectivity code generation issue, which is that NB generates code that already exists. So it doesn't have to generate the code at all. From a compatibility concern between WS server and WS client, I use exactly the same code on both ends. Therefore I have a mobile-library project setup that is used by my JavaME project as well as my JavaEE project. In this library all classes are defined that are used in the WS communication layer, thus ensuring that the phone sends across data that can be handled by the server and vice versa. This is probably not necessary, but has saved me loads of headaches, since I am now confident that I only send data across that can be handled by both ends. No classes that are too advanced for JavaME so to speak. All classes are there, but NB refuses to use them and generates classes of its own and uses them.

The interesting part here is that when generating a mobile client to web application, the package hierarchy as well as the classnames generated are the same as those found in my web application, i.e. the shared library mentioned above, so I can just delete these generated versions of my classes and use the right classes instead.
When generating a mobile WS client, the package hierarchy and the class names differ. Which makes it harder to replace the generated classes with my own created classes. Really mind boggling is the fact that the standard naming convention 'MyClass' is donned for 'myClass', which looks exactly like the field naming convention utilized by most developers I know.

But mind, I didn't get any exception pop-ups at all since installing RC2, the IDE is rather responsive, more than RC1 I think. And overall it is becoming a solid product, at least from my point of view. Me being a developer working on a mobile massive multi-user online realtime strategy game (MMMORSG).


No comments: